Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:36:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing mksh in base

> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to import mksh in base, https://www.mirbsd.org/mksh.htm
> And make it the default root shell (not necessary in one step)
>
> Why:
> 1/ it is tiny 400k (in the packaged version) all other shells fitting the
> expectation are bigger
It is more than twice the size of our current /bin/sh, and giving up
200k on the nano/tiny/wifi BSD is hard to justify.  400k is near the
size of tcsh.

Having expressed that concern, when pkg base is a reality and we can
pkg choose at install time if we get the current tiny /bin/sh or
your mksh proposal, or the whole basket which is bash I would support
adding more shells to the base system.

> 2/ it's default frontend in interactive mode is very close to what most people
> are used to with bash and shells as default root shell on other BSD and most
> linuxes

Getting close to usually does not satisfy those that do actually
use bash, zsh, ksh, etc.  Just as vi falls short for vim users.

> 3/ from my narrow window csh as a default root shell is one of the major
> complaint (usually the first thing a user get faced to) from new comers and
> also for some long timers who are reinstalling a machine and have not yet
> installed/configured a bourne compatible shell

I do not ever recall hearing a complaint about csh as a default root shell,
and, um I thought we encouraged new users to create an account and use
su/sudo type things so that they are not running around in a root shell
very much anyway.  I think the more norm complaint is from long time
Linux users making the transition to a BSD finding anything different
difficult to handle, much as I curse every few minutes when I am working
in a shell on a Linux box and find yet another thing I have to apt get
to even be close to a BSD system.

> What this proposal is _NOT_ about:
> 1/ the removal of tcsh from base
I would like to bring the invoked /bin/csh settings just a bit
closer to ancient /bin/csh, but I have learned to deal with the
subtle non conformance.

> 2/ any kid of denial of the quality and interest or features of csh
>
> What do you think?
I think we need pkg base so we can have all those shells
mentioned in other replies, so long as some one steps forward
willing to maintain them and all the scripts that need to run
on them without alteration.