Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2007 22:01:50 +0200
From:      peter@bsdly.net (Peter N. M. Hansteen)
To:        ben wilber <ben@desync.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook PF

ben wilber <ben@desync.com> writes:

> What do people think of having a little more of our own PF
> documentation in the Handbook?  It's quickly becoming a popular
> firewall package and the Handbook doesn't really do it justice.

I've offered up a patch[1] to the firewalls chapter with a light
introduction and a reference to the BSD licensed tutorial[2] I maintain
separately.

> Maybe some real-world scenarios and commonly used solutions, like NAT
> for an office network or authpf for a secured server.

yes, there's something like that in there.  I'm kind of focused on
finishing [3] at the moment, but both [1] and [2] are BSD licensed
already and can be used as starting points if anybody else has the
resources to get more PF info, possibly FreeBSD-specific, into the
FreeBSD Handbook.

[1] http://www.bsdly.net/~peter/freebsd/fw.diff
[2] http://www.bsdly.net/~peter/pf.html or for that matter directly
    at http://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/ - the docbook sgml source is