Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 2014 20:58:06 -0800
From:      Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pgk upgrade solver problems

I have just tried to run a 'pkg upgrade', but I am getting a lot of 'SAT
solver' problems.  It appeared that it wants to remove the offending
packages, so I did a '^C' after the first few of them to abort any
operations.

The program output looked normal at first and downloaded all of the
packages, but then I started getting errors like these (long lines):

  pkg: Cannot solve problem using SAT solver:
  cannot install package p5-Locale-gettext~devel/p5-Locale-gettext, remove it from request? [Y/n]:
  cannot install package xfce~x11-wm/xfce4, remove it from request? [Y/n]:
  pkg: Cannot solve problem using SAT solver:
  cannot install package Thunar~x11-fm/thunar, remove it from request? [Y/n]:
  pkg: Cannot solve problem using SAT solver:
  cannot install package glib~devel/glib20, remove it from request? [Y/n]:
  cannot install package xfce4-desktop~x11-wm/xfce4-desktop, remove it from request? [Y/n]:
  pkg: Cannot solve problem using SAT solver:
  cannot install package libxfce4util~x11/libxfce4util, remove it from request? [Y/n]:
  cannot install package libreoffice~editors/libreoffice, remove it from request? [Y/n]:

I can't figure out if these messages mean that it will not upgrade these
packages, or if it means that it will remove the packages.  I currently
have pkg version 1.3.8_3 and last upgraded all packages about a month
ago.  I also upgraded the base system from 10.0-RELEASE-p12 to
10.1-RELEASE since then, but I didn't think that should effect the
packages.  Does anybody have any suggestions on what these errors mean,
and what I can do about them?

Thanks for any suggestions.
--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org