Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2020 10:14:09 +0100
From:      Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        "Joe A." <freebsd@chthonixia.net>
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 12.0 end-of-life
References:  <20200217231452.717FA1E820@freefall.freebsd.org> <CAFYkXjmZi1-MB6W0HsMx9gHek7Xg5heoSKKWkNTnw74dxRTwAw@mail.gmail.com> <ead08f6c-3dc4-210d-b321-549eb0ad721f@malikania.fr> <20200220154101.GA53326@ghostyhead.chthonixia.net> <CAFYkXjnKO2ayKjh4KKTL1y_rcMbF62CePMcG=Z3KVtptU%2BUGPQ@mail.gmail.com> <20200221010421.GA54290@ghostyhead.chthonixia.net> <CAFYkXjnJvfBi68Zg6gf8Jr3n4O9C=F3pM8rbHDGKcbmQE2DUMw@mail.gmail.com> <20200221055139.GA969@ghostyhead.chthonixia.net>

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 6:52 AM Joe A. <freebsd@chthonixia.net> wrote:
> Had I my preferences, I'd run AMD Radeon also. But I had such issues with
> the Radeon APUs that I just decided to go with the Nvidia, at least until
> things sorted between AMD and FreeBSD. Not that anyone is at fault nor that
> the volunteers don't do what is needed; it's just that many things are
> changing.

This is exactly the reason why I have switched from nVidia to AMD
RADEON and planning no return!!

Because nVidia does not provide documentation nor support to
Open-Source, only binary blobs, you start to think that their drivers
are the best because "they just work"^TM. Nothing more misleading!

nVidia seems to have no respect in the Open-Source community. I was
also astonished with that being their 20 years long loyal customer.

When you look at the true Open-Source drivers, you will notice they
are poor and you cannot really do anything more with nVidia than just
display. While GPU nowadays is the most powerful computation unit out
there you can get for the money you can afford.. and you can make no
use of it :-(

Open-Source RADEON drivers in general are by some considered even
better than binary blobs provided by AMD.

Here comes the development of DRM layer that is something brand new in
FreeBSD that will support all new GPU in a truly Open-Source fashion
(but hey where does that firmware comes from??). This will also
provide OpenCL access. This is _very_ important and worth the price to
wait/help/test :-)

I am just really scared that DRM here in FreeBSD may be implemented in
a "Linux way" where its API/ABI changes from release to release. This
already happened and touched the surface during 12.0 -> 12.1 switch. I
truly hope it will never happen again. I remember this situation in
Linux back then around 2.4.10 kernel and that was the definitive
moment when I totally stopped using Linux and started deliberately
avoiding it.