Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 98 11:49:00 PDT
From:      Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Re[2]: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the   Internet"

Frank writes:
> The Linux community uses add slicks and authorized re-sellers and
> wholsalers tp promate their product.  Take a look at www.caldera.com or
> www.suse.com

Could we ask Walnut Creek to be the FreeBSD sugar daddy?  Caldera,
RedHat and SuSE make money off of selling CDs but frequently drop off
a case of current or near-current CDs for user groups to give away.  I
think
I picked up 3 CDs of Caldera OpenLinux 1.1 from a recent
tradeshow - one from LXNY and one or two from the Caldera booth.
RedHat was there and may have had some CDs to give away too.

(Remember, Linux CDs make great coasters!)

Walnut Creek is shipping 2.2.6 RSN, and in an ideal world there would
be no inventory of 2.2.5 left.  Realistically, there must be a few
cases of CDs collecting dust or waiting to be destroyed.  I for one
would volunteer to be one of a group of Johnny FreeBSDseeds around
the world giving away FreeBSD-(N-1)-RELEASE CDs.  Worst case,
it might get installed and Walnut Creek would have someone
buying the Book/CD combo of FreeBSD-(N)-RELEASE and possibly
N+1.

Hell.  If Walnut Creek doesn't want to do it, why not just set up a
PO Box to send your recently-obsoleted CD sets for
evangelical redistribution?

Evangelism doesn't _need_ to cost lots of money or become a jihad.

The Linux movement is doing some things well.  If we can't learn
from them it's our own damn fault.

 -- Adam.