Date:      Fri, 4 Jul 1997 12:57:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        mika ruohotie <bsdisp@shadows.aeon.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP ON: Cisco's, Ascend, Routing, and User Management.

> tac_plus _is_ superrior to any radius i've seen so far.
>
> and works well on both 2.1-stable and 2.2-stable.
>
> i have a friend who has/is building a product that's using a database
> instead of plain text file for the users file, scales into a huge
> systems much more easier...

If that does come about I'd like to see how that works...

> the only thing in tac_plus i dont like is the fact it requires cisco
> hardware...
>
> actually, while i comment, i'm getting between rock and the hard place in
> thinking which to use, pm3 or as5200, the fact i could use tac_plus with
> the as5200 makes it _very_ tempting box... but then again...

Well, IMHO, the Cisco is far superior to the PM3 from what I've seen and
read.  The 2501 engine it is built around is built to work.  The PM3's are
still quite buggy and people are having trouble getting or staying
connected in a lot of cases.  You get what you pay for (in the hardware
market at least), and it is kinda unfortunate, but the amount of R&D that
has gone into the Cisco as compared to the PM3's lends the Cisco to be
much better developed.  I was going to get a PM3, but after being on their
mailing lists, and after meeting with a Cisco rep and seeing the
comparisons and reading the specs, there was no need to think before
making that decision.

-Gary Margiotta
TBE Internet Services
http://www.tbe.net