Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:08:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High-resolution displays

John Polstra writes:
| I want to set up a laptop running FreeBSD to use when I'm working out
| of town.  My main use for it will probably be to connect to my office
| network using PPP and access my e-mail.  I want to run X11 on it, and
| I'd like to have 1024x768 or better resolution (ideally), or at least

Well, here I'm the maintainer of the laptop.  It is a NEC 6030X and does
1024x768.  We went for the second battery pack which gives us ~4 hours
without being attached to anything.  (Nice for doing work outside on the
patio) or just taking the machine home at night and leave the power at work.
Disadvantage is that the NEC can have either a second batter, floppy or CD
in the option bay.  But it is not usually a problem since I usually use
the network to get things in and out of it.  I'm running 2.2-beta & PAO
with some hacks for the PCMCIA controller.  The hacks shouldn't be needed
with more current PAO stuff.  I've tried to get -current up a couple of
times and have failed on the network card.

I definitely like the 1024x768 since it lets me have 4 80x25 windows open
without overlap.  Compute power is okay since it is PCI based so scrolling the
screen doesn't slow it down.  It uses the C&T graphics chip which is well
supported and now 16bpp is pretty fast (before it really slowed down the
machine).  Since this was an early XGA laptop it has the 12.1" screen
which is okay but now they seem to be moving to 14.2 with 13.3 common.

I don't like touchpads, I prefer sticks.  The pad is more of a two hand
operation for cut & paste, however it isn't worth the extra $1000 for an
IBM or Toshiba for me.

We had one trouble with the charge circuit and got that fixed pretty quick.

I've been thinking about a personal machine and have been looking at the
Chembook 2700 type (most of the clone shops repackage an OEM version and
the www.chemusa.com site gives gory details on the chipsets!).  I like this
machine since it is 200Mhz, 32M, 3G, 14.2TFT is just under $4000 and uses
the Intel mobile triton II chipset (which is supposed to be faster then
all others).  The negative is the video is Trident and I'm nervous about
XFree support but I've been seeing some success stories.  It's also big,
but seems to be a good desktop replacement.

Also Intel is about to release the 200+ P5 laptop CPU.  This should extend
battery life and get rid of the fan inside.

Doug A.