Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:52:47 +0200
From:      Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.org, re@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.7 Download Statistics

Hi,

Murray Stokely wrote on Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 08:27:32AM -0700:
> I'm very interested in getting download statistics about 4.7-RELEASE.
> In the old days with wcarchive.cdrom.com, it was very easy to track
> the increasing popularity of FreeBSD through downloads.  This would be
> a lot more work now with so many mirrors spread around the world, but
> I think it is certainly worth while.
>
> Does anyone have any bright ideas about how best to collect and
> tabulate the FTP logs for 4.7 from tens of different servers and
> generate a unified download report?  I don't have much time to
> actually help with this endeavor, but it "Sure would be nice", and it
> couldn't take more than a page of Perl and lots of coordination with
> the various site admins.

I think it will be difficult to get real numbers, but maybe
its possible to get an idea or a trend.

For our site one of the problems is the various sources of download
like FTP, HTTP, RSYNC. Further aborted downloads can be continued.
And one needs to have a clear idea, what exactly should be counted.

For 4.7-RELEASE I can imagine the following:

- ISO image downloads
- release distribution file downloads

The question remains, whole ISO files? Just the install-iso?
How about repeated downloads?

To track accesses in the releases/4.7-RELEASE and
releases/ISO-IMAGES/4.7 directories would be a good start.
However, even this is tricky using FTP, since a RETR of "bin.aa"
would no longer reflect that it followed a
CWD "pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.7-RELEASE".

Its a bit easier with http downloads, and rsync I did not check
the logs, yet.

I would grateful for any tools and suggestion, how to efficiently
track downloads in a sensible way. I tried 'xferstats' once
trimming our proftpd to provide wu-ftpd compatible logfiles,
but xferstats crashed after a few 100MBs of logdata and has no
way of 'remembering' once analysed results.
"analog" may work, but I remember I tried that once, but
gave up.

I am willing to provide any stats, you might find useful.

Best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock                 - Work is for people, who don't surf -
*Daniel Lang * dl@leo.org * +49 89 289 18532 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/*