Date:      Sat, 30 Jan 1999 23:12:37 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley-185-205.res.iastate.edu>
Cc:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>, wes@softweyr.com, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more modular rc/init/uninit system...

On Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 12:53:51PM -0600, Chris Csanady wrote:

> >Regarding using Make for startup:
> >
> >wes@softweyr.com said:
> >:- Good?  Bad?  Indifferent?
> >
> >I'd say: more complicated than the job requires.  We have a *simpler*
> >tool for managing graphs:  tsort(1).
> >
> >If you go back to the process I suggested, you need only tsort the
> >dependencies and save it in /var/run.  It is then available for use
> >to stop selected components.
>
> A while back, Eivind posted a set of rc scripts that used tsort.  It
> seemed like a really nice system, although it did not implement the
> the analagous shutdown mechanism.  Has any progress been made on this?

No.  There seemed to be four different people that were working on it,
and there was too much noise in all different directions for me to
prioritize it (besides a couple of other personal priorities).  The
stuff referenced below was just intended as an example of how
something like this could be made to work, as someone else (Nik
Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org>, I believe) was working on a split.  I just
wanted to show that there were better ways of controlling order than
just listing it explicitly in a file.

> Anyways, the url was http://www.freebsd.org/~eivind/newrc.tar.gz.

Eivind.