Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:25:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.mt.sri.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RMS's view on dynamic linking

From: mef@netaxs.com (Mike Fessler)
Newsgroups: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: A GPL license question
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 14:57:25 GMT

Barry Margolin <barmar@bbnplanet.com> wrote:

: But if the library is a DLL, it's completely independent of the calling
: program.  There's no code from the library in the executable, so how can it
: be considered either a copy or a derivative work?  If you distribute them
: together, I think this would fall under the "mere aggregation" clause of
: the GPL, which doesn't require the executable to fall under the GPL.

According to rms, with whom I just corresponded about this issue, that's not so.

His view is that linking two programs is not "mere aggregation", regardless or
whether it's static or dynamic linking.

I agree that resolving this in court would get extremely messy, but there it is.
(Heck, many jurors can't even make sense of DNA evidence, and *it's* been all
over the press -- I shudder to think of the hash they'd make of a GPL case...)