Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2006 22:53:39 +0300
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
To:        Michael Vince <mv@thebeastie.org>
Cc:        Alex Kiesel <alex@kiesel.name>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD binary Java and source Java

Michael Vince wrote:
> Alex Kiesel wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 13:04 +1000, Michael Vince wrote:
>>

>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I just wanted to know if there is a difference between the binary
>>> supplied Diablo Java and the Java I can build in the ports tree?
>>> As in is it a binary because it has source code compiled into it that
>>> Sun didn't want the rest of the world to see? or is it just a
>>> certified binary of what I could build in the ports tree and is
>>> offered for the case of ease and standards?
>>>

>> It is AFAIK the certified binary, plus it contains numerous Sun patches
>> (The Diablo Java is jdk-1.5.0 update 6) in comparison again the source
>> java (update 0 - if you want to call it this way).
>>
>> Regards,
>> -Alex
>>

> Thanks for that, also do you know about Java 1.4.2? when is it based on
> all the sources sun have used for a real binary on Linux or MS Windows?
> or is it on FreeBSD missing souce code?

All of the source jdk ports are based on the SCSL-licensed sources. Sun
has a habit of releasing these sources once and not providing updates to
them. So the original binaries from Sun (for all platforms) are based on
these sources, but subsequent binary updates contain more code,
available only to partners (like the FreeBSD Foundation now).

Cheers,

Panagiotis