Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 1995 19:12:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        hasty@netcom.com (Amancio Hasty Jr)
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Rave rave rave

Amancio Hasty Jr writes:

> >I talked to 3 different board vendors, Digiboard included, who were
>
> Great! About 2 years ago , I spoke to a representative of DigiBoard
> all they where interested was on Windows and OS/2 . Is nice to
> see a cool breeze blowing our way.

DigiBoard is now and always has had a Unix orientation.  For a
while that was one of the big markets for multiport boards.  The
representative you spoke to was ill informed.

Many representatives still are ill informed.  I spoke to someone
at DigiBoard in sales who pointed me to a dial up bulletin board
for technical information.  I asked about ftp and the answer was
"no, just the bulletin board".  Well yes, they have both ftp at
digibd.com and a web page at www.digibd.com.  But sales is Windows
oriented.

The Windows orientation of sales, and other non-technical "decision
makers" involved with computers, is our biggest challenge in
furthering FreeBSD in industry.  I have clients who will have
burning bamboo splints shoved under their fingernails if Chairman
Bill says they should so that they won't miss the second coming of
Microsoft.

I've had to "work" with Windows for a few months.  There are many
young engineers (yes, you kids out there) who think it is NORMAL
to have to power cycle your computer three times a day.  When in
desperation I moved some tools to an underutilized Sun system in
order to get some work done, and promptly started getting core
dumps, one of the kids said, in all honesty, "See?  You have the
same kind of problem on Unix".  I just stared at him.  What else
could I do? That Sun had 62 days uptime, and he STILL won't grant
me that the core dump (and then debug) is better than the power
cycle.

I'll retitle this "Rave rave rave" and I apologize to the list in
advance.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936