Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 1995 12:12:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, terry@cs.weber.edu, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl
Subject:   Re: [DEVFS] your opinions sought!

> >"ddb: No debugger in kernel"
>
> >Those of us running unattended production systems cannot afford to have a
> >machine crash into ddb, and not reboot.  Otherwise, I'd agree...  but right
> >now, I have to drive a half hour to go reboot systems that lock.
>
> This is easy to fix.  E.g., replace Debugger() by a dummy version and put
> the old version in the keyboard driver alone, and maybe disable breakpoint
> and trace traps unless the debugger has been reached via the keyboard trap.

...which I wouldn't bother with because my systems will begin running
kbdless in the near future (i.e. 2.1R).   :-)

> >(by the way, this is one of the things that I hope serial consoles will buy
> >for me, but haven't gotten around to checking on it.  Is there any
> >Ctrl-SysRq equivalent available on a serial console?  BREAK?)
>
> BREAK, if it is enabled by a million ifdefs.  Serial consoles have the
> same problem with automatic reboots.

Yes, but then when my pager/etc go off to warn me that a system is down, all
I need to do is to telnet/dial in to the box that is holding the other end
of the serial console, resume a "screen" session, and switch to the
appropriate kermit session.  :-)

Driving 20 minutes at 3A.M. is enough of a pain in the a** that I can
trivially justify the small sum of money it costs me to do something like
this.  Spending 5 minutes to dial in is better than the 45 minutes currently
required for several of the systems.  And a single serial card is invariably
cheaper than the combination of a keyboard and VGA card, even if it's one of
the $32 16550 cards I'm so fond of...

I'm not sure just how well this works into the original topic of
SCSI-temporary-halts.  If Mr. Dufalt(? I think) can come up with a utility
to provide similar functionality, that seems like an easier (and maybe more
correct?) solution.

... Joe