Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 23:27:38 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, chat@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wonderful demo

> Comments: Authenticated sender is <10ehnmugs6l6@mail14.MCI2000.com>
> I believe I can help - the Comments: line is pretty
> authorative. Pegasus mail has a similar line X-authenticated-sender:,
> which you can trust. The user/site are the actual login and username that
> this jerk used to get his connection from his ISP.
>
> I am in the ISP business - we use these lines too with great effect when our
> users misbehave,

I might also add that the administrative contact for MCI2000.com is
Sue Spoddig, and she quite impressed me by:

	A) Taking care of this in record time, despite having over 90,000
	   subscribers.

	B) Returning my phone call promptly, with a full synposis of
	   events and her actions to contain this jerk.

	C) Just being generally nice and good-humored about it despite having
	   already received 600 complaints about this individual in the
	   previous 24 hours alone.

I've dealt with a *lot* of ISPs over the last year or so and have to
say that Sue's response to this is one which will stand out for a long
time - if all the ISPs I dealt with were this conscientious, I'd be
one happy camper.  The moral of this story is, of course, that you
(not you, Mark, the generic "you" :-) shouldn't always be too quick to
beat up on the ISP at the first sign of trouble.  Some ISPs are pure
idiots and wouldn't know an AUP if it bit them on the ass, getting all
defensive when you ask them to police their own user base.  Others,
like Sue, are hard working and long suffering individuals who should
receive our full support in combating spammers.

					Jordan