Date:      Tue, 8 Mar 2016 17:42:44 -0800
From:      John Clark <jeclark2006@aim.com>
To:        Brad Walker <bwalker@musings.com>
Cc:        Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>, "freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org" <freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org>, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ? about kernel size..
References:  <CAPKZHbVyPji-bZwDzM77TN6qybjRcf%2BZe5r6WZmbG98LkhT-rg@mail.gmail.com> <CANCZdfriqr24Lh9ZuptaC0gEm6gAV6LN9XHcVAJtbyaBejEgNg@mail.gmail.com> <CAPKZHbW%2BG7WnSU__yeYBVPqs8MPmFm-5q_wM4sm9FxHhEEgPDg@mail.gmail.com> <1457473674.1406.46.camel@freebsd.org> <CAPKZHbX8BXKC_=8PPvtasqE%2BRj96_mPQkqdRt=hqU6fazxpPfA@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-Vmo=yW0=VHkjed8NYxRmE7dqtd8=bN8KLmav9-bBEZ-U1YQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAPKZHbV1D5hTXCCRAYy6XkkcqJEizHH8ymK5dgsCsvXEeRd5jQ@mail.gmail.com>

On Mar 8, 2016, at 5:20 PM, Brad Walker <bwalker@musings.com> wrote:

> For example, we have a requirement to implement SSL/TLS, BTLE, and ftp =
on a
> microkernel. By the time this is done, it will be worthwhile to look =
at
> alternatives. Not to mention, the needs just keep coming.
>=20
> -brad w.

At which point I become very vociferous in arguing against using a =
process so limited that it can=92t run a BSD/Linux derivative.

This sort of happened with the recent brush with the 8051=85 The Boss =
wanted to have the 8051 do some TCP/IP with some sort of
Ethernet interface that was available from the company that made the =
8051=85

At which point I found a $15 AP based on MIPS/Atheros SoC, and provided =
not only TCP/IP but also a local hotspot for control/monitoring, =
ethernet hub, mini http server, etc.

If someone wanted to reduce cost from $15 they could have gotten the =
Eval package and gotten the design to a manufacturing house for much =
less as well=85
Of course they would talking about volumes many times greater than 100s=85=

The 8051 controller was still in there, but the =91fancy=92 stuff was on =
a board that could handle =91fancy=92 stuff without making the project =
2-3 years worth of development on a minimal
processor platform.

Another aspect of the =91minimal system=92 that is required to do =
=91fancy=92 stuff, is that often the TCP/IP implementation is sort of =
=91half-baked=92 and can introduce problems which go
far beyond just not accessing the device=85 it could cause problems for =
the entire network, and require much debugging to solve=85 or even =
understand what=92s going on=85

This may be ok if the devices are located in conveniently accessible =
locations=85 but if one has to go to a remote location via helicopter or =
pack in equipment with mules=85
such issues become bigger than the cost savings of some minimal =
solution.

John Clark.