Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 10:01:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        ivt@gamma.ru, nectar@NECTAR.COM
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: blkfree: freeling free block/frag

> Is there a FreeBSD-INN list or something similar?  There oughter be.  I'd
> subscribe.
>
> Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
>
> On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Igor Timkin wrote:
>
> > Every 4-8 days my news server (~10 full incoming feeds, ~50
> > outgoing feeds) crash:
> > panic: blkfree: freeing free block
> > or
> > panic: blkfree: freeing free frag
> >
> > I have a P6-200 rinning on a ASUS P65UP5+C-P6ND (BIOS rev. 2.05),
> > with 512M ECC of RAM (with David Greenman patch).
> > news spool is 6x4G Barracuda (ST15150W) CCD across two 2940UW.

 This is very reminiscent of my "Daily panic"s which I used to get
on a full news server.  I never saw the "freeing free frag" but I
frequently saw the "freeing free block" panic.  Do you also get
"dup alloc" panics?

 Anyway, suffice it to say that we've been bird-dogging this problem
for quite some time (since 2.1 came out.)  It has been a bear to track
down.  And, unfortunately, I lost my news feed; so I don't get it
every day.  [Although, I can reproduce a problem that is suspiciously
similar on a stand-alone 386.] The more info we can get, the better.

	- Dave Rivers -