Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 17:24:28 +0200
From:      Alson van der Meulen <alm@flutnet.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compiling 4.4-STABLE

On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 10:13:59AM -0400, j. rivera wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been fighting with my machine now for about three days, but I'm not
> sure what to make of my situation, and any advice would be appreciated.
> Here's the situation--
>
> The machine:
> 133 mhz Pentium
> 64 MB memory
> 6 GB WD hard drive
>
> My problem:
> I was running 4.3-RELEASE just fine. I decided to upgrade to
> 4.4-RELEASE, hosed my machine, so I reinstalled 4.4 fresh. I've now been
> trying to compile 4.4-STABLE, but with no luck.
>
> I get all sorts of weirdness when I try to compile STABLE. The compiler
> segmentation faults and dumps core. Perl dumped core trying to recompile
> the kernel. Every so often during make buildworld, the machine
> arbitrarily reboots.
>
> My first inclination is that it might possibly be hardware, but what
> makes me think this isn't true is that 4.3 ran fine (no problems
> compiling anything).
Maybe you could reinstall 4.3-RELEASE again, temporarily, to test if
that works stable? If it does not, you broke your hardware while
reinstalling 4.4-REL, else, there's prolly something wrong with the
software.

> If anyone else has had this problem or can provide some thoughts as to
> what might be causing this problem, please let me know. If any further
> info is needed, I'd be happy to provide the error messages, etc.
> Thanks.
If the whole system is unstable, error messages usually don't help much,
you can see all kind of funny messages.
--
> Name:           Alson van der Meulen      <
> Personal:        alson@flutnet.org        <
> School:       alson@gymnasiumleiden.nl    <
What do you mean that wasn't a copy?