Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 11:55:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, Jeff Roberts <jroberts@ashland.edu>, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mcAffee Anti Virus

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Chris Coleman wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Charles Owens wrote:
> >
> > > The guy I spoke with handles all of the tech support for all Unix versions
> > > of VirusScan.  He said that I was the _only_ person to ever call about the
> > > FreeBSD version... there have only been a handful of calls about the Linux
> > > version.
> >
> > 	Until reading this thread, I didn't even know *Unix* versions existed,
> > let along Linux -or- FreeBSD ones *shrug*
> >
> Just to make sure you understood. (becuase I didn't until i looked at it)
> This is a FreeBSD virus scanner to scan msdos files that happen to be
> stored on your FreeBSD server. It is not a scanner to find FreeBSD
> viruses.  I think it is meant for use with things like SAMBA servers.  We
> have a couple servers running SAMBA and dishing out files, so that is why
> we are looking into it.
>
> Should I call Mcaffee and lodge a bug notice, just to add a few numbers to
> the group? or Do you think you have covered it?

Hey... the more the better!  The tech support guy did say that he'd have
development look at it, but from some other comments that he made I got
the impression that it might not be very high on their priority list.

> I am fairly sure we are going to purchase it.

Me too.  We could probably use the Linux version (I have not tested it
under FreeBSD emulation to see if the same SYSLOCK bug exists) but I'd
much rather see them get the point that their are interested FreeBSD users
out there.

So, ANYONE, if you might conceivably buy this product, call McAfee tech
support and tell them that you'd really like to see the
false-SYSLOCK-virus-detected bug fixed in the FreeBSD version of
VirusScan.

	Call 408-988-3832 and ask for Tech Support for Unix VirusScan
	or send email to support@cc.mcafee.com.

:-)

---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx