Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 23:29:13 +1000 (EST)
From:      proff@suburbia.net
To:        abial@korin.warman.org.pl (Andrzej Bialecki)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPv6 && -current

> On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Garrett Wollman wrote:
>
> > <<On Thu, 3 Apr 1997 16:06:41 +0200 (MET DST), Andrzej Bialecki <abial@korin.warman.org.pl> said:
> > in doing an IPv6 implementation that obeys style(9) and isn't
> > altogether bletcherous), there should not be IPv6 code in the -current
> > kernel.

Thats right. We can choose to have freeBSD the leader in the next
generation of network code, or we can choose style(9). The linux
ipv6 stack has already undergone a year of development, and is now
substantially complete. I doubt FreeBSD will have a ipv6 stack
inside the next three years if slavish adherence to style-guides
is considered the over-riding factor. An ipv6 stack is a mechanism
of considerable complexity not the work of fools. Now is the time
for people to put their hands up to perform the difficult task of
writing the stack internally, if they can do better, or shut up and
adapt the existing work of others.

Cheers,
Julian.