Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 1995 20:17:01 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, julian@ref.tfs.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [DEVFS] your opinions sought!

> >>I personally have always prefered the flat scheme of /dev (with possible
> >>exceptions for /dev/fd/*).  This is a religious issue, I have spoken my
> >>religion.
> >
> >I like it fairly flat.  There certainly shouldn't be subdirectories for
> >pieces of one device.
>
>    I agree with Bruce. I would have agreed with Rod, but the simple fact is
> that our /dev directory is getting very large and bloated, and this will only
> get worse. Perhaps /dev/disks/* and /dev/ttys/*, etc, might be a way to
> organize things (in other words, by device class). I prefer to not minimize
> the number of levels as much as possible, while still providing some
> organization.

If you want to group the devices, so that a listing of /dev
doesn't get too long, why not taking Sun's / SVR4's naming
scheme ? It's something like a standard in the Unix market.

6	/dev/sad
34	/dev/dsk
0	/dev/fd
98	/dev/pts
34	/dev/rdsk
50	/dev/rmt
2	/dev/swap
6	/dev/term
4	/dev/fbs
2	/dev/printers
260	/dev/md/dsk
260	/dev/md/rdsk
524	/dev/md
6	/dev/cua
2	/dev/isdn
6	/dev/sound
1526	/dev

block devices = dsk, raw devices = rdsk
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s2
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s4
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s6
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s1
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s2
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s3
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s4
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s5
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s6
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s7

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de         /\/\___ Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/       - Support Unix - akl@wup.de -

                  *** apsfilter - irgendwie clever ***
ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de:/pub/Linux/local/packs/APSfilter/aps-49...:-)