Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 1998 00:43:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dswartz@druber.com, dg@root.com, dag-erli@ifi.uio.no, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap-leak in 2.2.5 ?

>> My only quibble with this technique is that it would seem to make it
>> harder to tell if your machine is really running low on swap or not
>> (e.g. swap as backing store for stack/heap/whatever *is* critical and
>> allocation failure can cause application failure, whereas swap being
>> used to cache random cruft is in the "who really cares" department).
>> Or is there some way to tell the difference?
> It is difficult not only to tell if you are low on swap, but also it
> is hard to quantify being low on memory.  I have been thinking about
> this over the last year or so.

I don't know much about the FreeBSD VM system, but it is my
understanding that in stock 4.4BSD, you can tell kinda by a high
number of page outs but mostly by swap outs if you are low on RAM.  Is
this not the case also with FreeBSD?

I've been considering writing a utility to watch several
performance-related stats (including *why* pages are being paged out,
and processes swapped out, etc), and watch whether MINFREE is being
approached, or what have you.

Has this already been done?

Best,
joelh