Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:43:18 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rasputin@submonkey.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compiling 4.4-STABLE

* ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com> [011019 16:30]:
> "j. rivera" wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've been fighting with my machine now for about three days, but I'm
> > not sure what to make of my situation, and any advice would be
> > appreciated.
> > Here's the situation--
> >
> > The machine:
> > 133 mhz Pentium
> > 64 MB memory
> > 6 GB WD hard drive
> >
> > My problem:
> > I was running 4.3-RELEASE just fine. I decided to upgrade to
> > 4.4-RELEASE, hosed my machine, so I reinstalled 4.4 fresh. I've now
> > been trying to compile 4.4-STABLE, but with no luck.
> >
> > I get all sorts of weirdness when I try to compile STABLE. The
> > compiler segmentation faults and dumps core. Perl dumped core trying
> > to recompile the kernel. Every so often during make buildworld, the
> > machine arbitrarily reboots.

That sounds nastily familiar.

I'd agree with you that the hardware is unlikely to have suddenly
broken, and I've seen a couple of cases where bad software can
resemble bad hardware -  in my case it was dodgy compiler
flags from setting CPUTYPE.

The problem was compounded by the fact it didn't break when I first
built world, which meant every binary on the standard install was screwed.

I managed to get out of it by going single user, unsetting CPUTYPE,
and doing
 make buildworld -DNOCLEAN
over and over again, until everything was built , then installing as normal.
(make -j<anything> is not your friend on a shaky system, either)
any binaries that repeatedly broke were
replaced by scp'ed copies from a friends system.

Evebtually I got it back up ,and I'm typing this on the same box,
so it wasn't hardware, but it certainly looked like it at the time.

It doesn't sound like this is your problem, but maybe some defaults
have changed in 4.4-RELEASE,
write caching by default, for example - maybe try setting
hw.ata.wc=0 in /boot/loader.conf?

--
Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns ::