Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 19:12:24 -0700
From:      Stephen Wynne <stevemw@northwest.com>
To:        freebsd-mozilla@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GDB, Memory, and NSPR Threads?

In message <m2emyzalxz.fsf@terror.hungry.com>, Christoph Toshok writes:

    yeah, someone has brought it up on mozilla.general some days ago.
    don't know if they're moving on it, though.

Chris,

Thanks for your reply. That someone would be I. And we didn't get a
response (to that specific question) back from Brendan Eich in that
thread, which is why I'm asking here.

    what exactly are you trying to do? I mean, why do you want to pop
    between threads?

I want to walk through the code that handles plugins in order to more
fully understand it. Also, when I start working on a plugin, I want to
be able to set breakpoints in it and do the normal things I do with a
debugger. Right now, I end up in the main thread (I think), and I
never get the chance to enter the other ones. It's all very confusing
still.

Here's what Brendan advised in mozilla-general:

    I always end up memorizing the stack-pointer and program-counter
    offsets in the PRThread's jmpbuf or ucontext or whatever struct,
    printing them out (the current thread is pointed at by
    [_pr_currentThread], usually the same as mozilla_thread or
    lm_InterpretThread), setting $sp and $pc, and voila -- you've
    convinced gdb to switch threads.

I think I might be able follow Brendan's advice if I knew how to find
this alleged data structure that describes the threads. I don't know
how to use his advice about "ucontext." I didn't see anything I could
comprehend as a live thread map (is there such a thing?) when I looked
at things declared as PRThread.

Steve