Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:14:31 -0800
From:      "Allan Bowhill" <abowhill@blarg.net>
To:        "Brad Knowles" <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: C/C++

> I like the story, but I would like to point out that there is no
> "Chuck".  Quoting from <http://www.mckusick.com/beastie/index.html>:
>
> Many folks have asked about the BSD daemon's name. Contrary
> to a myth first started by some advertising droid at Walnut
> Creek, the daemon's name is NOT Chuck. He is very proud of
> the fact that he does not have a name, he is just the BSD
> daemon. If you insist on a name, call him beastie.

I believe you. But it may be too late. The name is tatooed on
my brain. I will try to rehabilitate my usage if I can remember.

I like the idea that he doesn't have a name, but that invites marketing
people to do what they do. I am tempted to believe "Chuck" may have
been derived from the mysterious "Charlie &" (root) in the passwd file.

Is this merely a coincidence?

> But the rest of the story is a good one.  Thanks!

It seemed appropriate...

--Allan