Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 2009 18:53:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        rsmith@xs4all.nl (Roland Smith)
Cc:        aryeh.friedman@gmail.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to set device permissions at startup

Roland Smith wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Quote from the manpage:
 > > "The devfs.rules file provides an easy way to create and apply
 > > devfs(8) rules, even for devices that are not available at boot."
 > >
 > > The rules take effect whenever a new node (devide) appears,
 > > even after devfs was mounted.
 >
 > But one has to run '/etc/rc.d/devfs restart' for newly added rules to take
 > effect! (or reboot the system, which is overkill).

Yes, of course.  I thought that was obvious.

 > Maybe I whould add that to the manual page for devfs.rules?

Agreed, that might be an appropriate clarification.

Best regards
   Oliver

With Perl you can manipulate text, interact with programs, talk over
networks, drive Web pages, perform arbitrary precision arithmetic,
and write programs that look like Snoopy swearing.