Date:      Sat, 30 Jan 1999 20:09:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, tlambert@primenet.com, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, wes@softweyr.com, toasty@home.dragondata.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High Load cron patches - comments?

Terry Lambert said:

> > > I wonder about an explicit yield being a result of your standard
> > > fork(2) call invocation... the more processes in read-to-run, the
> > > longer you get to wait before your next fork...
> >
> > If one did that, it would be wise idea to only do the yield when
> > it would be profitable.
>
> Do you mean "only when someone is actually waiting to run", or do
> you mean "as defined by the results of some as yet undefined
> profitability calculation"?

Maybe yes to both or either.  I did experiment with that, with
indeterminate results (except hurting low level latency experiments.)
I didn't (about 2yrs ago) have enough info to move further, and was
working on other things.  It would be an interesting investigation.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid