Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:41:04 +0100
From:      "Andre Goeree" <abgoeree@uwnet.nl>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SPAM was: (OT: [REJECTED MAIL]????????)

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 04:46:44PM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Andre Goeree <abgoeree@uwnet.nl> types:
> > > Rather than install a filter, get a good automated complaint system,
> > > and add a "complain" button to your mailer. If you do it often enough,
> > > you'll get your address on the "complains about spam" blacklist, which
> > > will start killill the spam at the source. That's a lot better than
> > > killing it after it's gotten to your system.
> > Is there a "complaints about SPAM" blacklist? I didn't know that.
> > Sounds like a list i want to get on:)
> > Would mail/adcomplain do the trick?
>
> Well, some of the SPAM packages/sites (those that help produce it, not
> those that help fight it) have lists of email addresses that are known
> to generate complaints if you spam them.

Sounds good to me, but it's actually the world up side down ;-)
There should be a list where you have to be on if you want to
receive SPAM, not if you don't want it...
I already see SPAM messages like "if you don't want receive this
JUNK register your address at ...." I believe this is yet another
trick to get the real address :-(
First my snailmail, next my phone, now my email, what's going to
be spammed next?

> > Hmm, sometimes i get spammed via mailing lists. I can only
> > guess that the spammers don't have my direct mail address,
> > but reacting to these messages would give them the address for sure...
>
> Well, they may have it and some filter is getting it. On the other
> hand, I sometimes see the same spam multiple times - to both one of my
> mail addresses and to one or more of the lists I subscribe to.

Yes, and a lot of mailing lists are "public" what AFAIK means
that anybody can get a list of who's on it. Here where i live
(the netherlands) i even heard of people getting PAID for each
valid email address they report, can you believe that?

> > > I always wonder what would happen if some popular mailer turned up
> > > with a "Complain about SPAM" button. I suspect it would be more
> > > effective at getting rid of SPAM than all the filters and blocks put
> > > together.
> > That sure sounds like a good default feature:)
>
> Yeah, but considering how active MS is about fixing - or even advising
> people - about what a security hole ActiveX and JavaScript are, I
> wouldn't expect it to happen.

Now, who wants to talk about M$? (just kidding). No, i don't think
they really care about their customers, i think they're only
interested in buck$ and how to get the most of them in the shortest
possible time... But, as we all (except the die-hard Windozers) know:
There is a much better OS and it's *free*, updated daily, always has
the latest security/bug-fixes, very good technical support, runs rock
solid, runs faster with every update (or am i fooling myself?) and
above all: it has the power to serve :-)
Oh, and i forgot, it's even *fun* to talk about :-)

Notice i changed the subject, it sounds a bit more appropriate;-)
(and i believe everybody already has my address now so there's no
need to mention it in the subject anymore ;-)

-- Andre.