Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 18:36:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@jdyson.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, bright@rush.net, eivind@FreeBSD.ORG, peter@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS HEADS UP (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/nfs nfsm_subs.h xdr_subs.h)

Matthew Dillon said:
> :>     Well, the issue with converting many of the macros to inline functions
> :>     is with the embedded goto's and references to variables defined outside
> :>     the macros.  Converting them to functions would basically require
> :>     rewriting a huge chunk of NFS code.
> :>
> :My working kernel runs with a few strategic NFS macros being converted
> :to functions, and the size improvement is about 50K or so (maybe more!!!)
> :
> :John
>
>     If you want to port some of it in that part of the source tree will be
>     available in a month or two, depending on how quickly the other stuff in
>     my queue gets committed.  I've got two patch sets currently under test
>     related to other NFS issues and a third one in the wings.

The changes are "semi-trivial", and hope that a new kernel hacker can
take a crack at it.  Part of my comment however true, was meant as a
tease to get more kernel people involved (helping the cause.)  Anything
that any of us does can be done by others, and fostering a talent search
is a good thing (IMO.)

I am willing to provide the info, but hope that a naiscent kernel hacker
comes forward...

John