Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:49:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, chad@DCFinc.com
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: time_t definition is worng

:
:No, time_t is and always has been 32 bits on all FreeBSD platforms.
:
:I agree with Matt that it would be nice if it were 64 bits at least on
:64-bit platforms.  Unfortunately, practically speaking it's too late
:to make that change now.
:
:John
:--
:  John Polstra                                               jdp@polstra.com

    Not being a user of the alpha port, I can't disagree.  But if I were
    I would consider fixing the alpha port now and get it over with
    rather then later.  time_t was one of the few things that transported
    naturally to 64 bit platforms, and yet it still managed to get fracked
    up in FreeBSD.  This IA32 change from long to int only makes things
    even MORE fracked up then they already were and is a huge mistake.

    Rather then further break the IA32 port, if consistency is a goal then
    the alpha port should be fixed instead.

    But, at the very least, the IA32 commit should be backed out before it
    actually gets onto a CD.

						-Matt