Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 12:08:19 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jambi <jambi@nlanr.net>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ccd questions.

This was sent to -scsi, but it's not really SCSI-related.  Following
up to -hackers.

On Friday, 26 June 1998 at 12:44:34 -0700, Jambi wrote:
> Hey all,
>   I have been trying to run a few test with ccd and squid cache.
> Squid requires a great deal of random access and seek operations as the
> data is spread all over the squid cache partitions.  I was planning on
> using 3  IBM DDRS-39130W S92A connected in a chain to a 2940UW.
> I decided to use ccd and see how it compares to just having 3 disks
> mounted seperatly.
> Here are the questions:
> a) ccdconfig -v ccd0 65536 0x02 /dev/sd0c /dev/sd1c /dev/sd2c is the
> command I use to make the device.  I can mount it then at an place on the
> file system (say mount /dev/ccd0c /mnt) but I can't write, ls, cd or do
> anything to that partition.  Am I missing something here?

You certainly haven't described things enough for me to be sure what
you did.  Others have already pointed out that you need a newfs, but
you need that before you mount, too.  Did you get the file system
mounted?  What does the output of df look like?  What error messages
do you get when you try to access the partition?

BTW, the interleave factor is in blocks.  Did you really want an
interleave factor of 65536 blocks (32 MB).  This will work, but it's
rather large.

> b) when trying to look at the size of the ccd (with df -k) I see that the
> system shows the size on one disk, not all three of them (every disk is
> 9.1GB).  From the man page I understood that the 0x02 flag will add the
> disks together so I was expecting to find a 27GB disk not one 9GB disk.

Correct.  Let's see that df output.

BTW, you might be interested in vinum, a planned replacement for ccd.
Check out http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html.

Greg