Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 2021 21:11:51 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To:        Helge Oldach <freebsd@oldach.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Deprecation of portsnap (was: Proposed ports git transition schedule)

--ZS8fYCvyxLtvHS+J

On 2021-Apr-11 14:27:27 +0200, Helge Oldach <freebsd@oldach.net> wrote:
>Peter Jeremy via freebsd-ports wrote on Sun, 11 Apr 2021 00:52:11 +0200 (C=
EST):
>> Following the SVN to GIT migration, portsnap is now the only practical
>> way to use ports on a low-memory system.  I've done some experiments
>> and standard git has a 2GB working set to checkout a ports tree.
>
>However checking out is a one-time action with ports as there is only
>one branch (switching frequently between main and quarterly is probably
>not very sensible on a limited machine). git pull is significantly more
>lightweight, I've just seen some 200M RSS. That should work well even on
>a 512M machine. Probably much better than gitup in constrained memory?

Except that git will arbitrarily and randomly decide that it needs to
run "gc" - which is similarly extravagant in memory usage.  Last time
I found one running, it thrashed that poor VM for 3 days.

Ignoring that, a "git up -ff" on a ports tree peaks with 2=D71GB processes,
though it looks like the working set size might only be ~350MB.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--ZS8fYCvyxLtvHS+J

--ZS8fYCvyxLtvHS+J--