Date:      Mon, 5 Dec 2016 08:23:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Patrick Mahan <mahan@mahan.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for some direction

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016, Patrick Mahan wrote:

> On 12/4/16 6:51 AM, Warren Block wrote:
>> On Sat, 3 Dec 2016, Patrick Mahan wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I am buying an arduino board to do some hobbyist stuff in robotics and other
>>> real-time control (sound, audio, etc).  I see that there are multiple arduino
>>> ports in the ports tree, but I don't see a mailing list for arduino directly and
>>> what I have seen via google-fu seems to be a few years out of date.
>>>
>>> Is there a group of tinkers inside the FreeBSD community who are currently
>>> playing with the latest arduino platforms?
>>
>> Define "latest" :)
>>

> Well, I've got the what is labeled arduino-1.6.13-linux64.tar.xz and
> arduino-1.6.13-macosx.zip.  Looking at the Makefile for the ports tree I see
> there is a
> devel/arduino which seems to be centered on v1.0.6 while devel/arduino16 seems
> to be 1.6.12.

Well, I meant the hardware.  The original Arduinos were all Atmel
microcontrollers.  Newer ones can have Atmel, ARM, or other CPUs.  The
IDE is the same, but the compiler toolchains needed for the non-Atmel
processors might not be available as ports.

>> Unfortunately, the FreeBSD Arduino ports are only for the Atmel
>> microcontrollers.  Other processors like ARM and the ESP8266 need both a newer
>> version of the Arduino port and the associated toolchain.
>>

> Well, I'm ordering the Arduino 101
> (https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoard101) which seems like a good entry
> platform for doing both robotics and as a control board for controlling various
> lighting items, etc. (this is something I'm working on with my son-in-law who
> wants to be a DJ).  It uses the Intel Curie architecture and has 14 Digital I/O
> pins, 4 PWN pins and 6 analog pins plus a accelerometer/gyro.  The Curie is a
> hyrid 32-bit x86 core and ARC core.

I kind of doubt the toolchains for this are available as ports, but
admittedly don't know.