Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 09:40:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange behaviour of a box.

I have a box that is doing something quite strange.

The OS is 2.1.0-951026-SNAP, which was released about a day before 2.1.0R,
and is essentially 2.1.0R.  I didn't reinstall the box because I considered
the return on investment to be zero.  ;-)

The hardware:

ASUS P/I-P55TP4XE(?) Triton-I P-100MB with 96MB RAM
ASUS SC-200 NCR-810, AHA-3940
Pile'o'disks
Kingston KNE40T 10baseT (DEC 21041)

While this box is due for replacement, and is actually in the process of
being replaced, this still seemed funny enough for me to ask if anyone
had ever seen something like this.

For the last several months, it would crash every three to five days, and
come back up just fine.  I would log in to the box, run 'dmesg', and see

# /sbin/dmesg | more
nging root device to sd0a
WARNING: / was not properly dismounted.

syncing disks... done
Rebooting...
FreeBSD 2.1.0-951026-SNAP #0: Thu Oct 17 20:45:51 CDT 1996
    jgreco@hummin.sol.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/HUMMIN_CCD
CPU: 99-MHz Pentium 735\\90 or 815\\100 (Pentium-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x525  Stepping=5
  Features=0x1bf<FPU,VME,PSE,MCE,CX8,APIC>
real memory  = 100663296 (98304K bytes)
Physical memory hole(s):
avail memory = 95379456 (93144K bytes)
[yadda yadda yadda]

There is no clue as to why it sync'd its disks and rebooted.  No log
messages.  Nobody on the console to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Thinking it was a kernel problem, I rebuilt the kernel back in October
and installed the new kernel.  It was the same configuration file that
had been running for months, and there is nothing unusual about it in
my opinion.

I sort of wrote this off as maybe being tickled by some strange software
corruption.

The machine locked last night and I rebooted it this morning.  As it was
coming back up, it did a very strange thing...

[...]
Changing root device to sd0a
WARNING: / was not properly dismounted.

Automatic reboot in progress...
/dev/rsd0a: CLEAN FLAG NOT SET IN SUPERBLOCK (FIXED)
/dev/rsd0a: 1612 files, 8481 used, 6622 free (26 frags, 1649 blocks, 0.2% fragmentation)

syncing disks... done
Rebooting...

It was in the middle of checking /usr and it just totally flipped and
spontaneously rebooted.

Bearing in mind that the machine is slated for replacement, does anyone
have any thoughts as to what might cause this?

Thanks, and have a great Thanksgiving..

... JG