Date:      Fri, 01 Jun 2001 18:34:43 -0400
From:      "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, dillon@earth.backplane.com, dmitry@ssimicro.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[4]: time_t definition is worng

On Friday, June 01, 2001 18:31:34 -0400, Thomas David Rivers
<rivers@dignus.com> wrote:
+-----
| So - I believe the weight of consensus is that time_t is
| 64-bits on 64-bit machines, and 32-bits on 32-bit machines.
| And, thus, for FreeBSD, should probably remain a long (IMHO.)
+--->8

I've been leaning toward Matt Dillon's side of the debate, but I've just
discovered a confounding datum:

xiphoid:205 Z$ grep time_t /usr/include/sys/*.h | grep typedef
/usr/include/sys/localedef.h:typedef struct _LC_time_t	_LC_time_t;
/usr/include/sys/types.h:typedef int            time_t;
xiphoid:206 Z$ uname -a
OSF1 xiphoid V4.0 878 alpha alpha

Something tells me this trumps the other arguments.  (Sigh.  Another reason
for me to hate DECpaq.)

--
brandon s. allbery     [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]   allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator        [WAY too many hats]         allbery@ece.cmu.edu