Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 23:47:10 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL alternatives

On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 02:35:15PM -0700, David Schwartz wrote:
> > Why yes, the BSD license is the best. I certainly do not have any
> > objections
> > against it. Heck, I use it all the time. It is the GPL that this whole
> > thread is about. We were talking about what kind of letter could be sent
> > to authors using GPL. Netscape license was suggested as an alternative, to
> > which I opined that the artistic license might be a better choice. It is
> > philosophically similar to the GPL, but without the Borg stuff.
>
> 	I have serious problems with the BSD license. My biggest one is that it
> requires you to foist a disclaimer on your customer. This makes it
> intolerable for companies like mine who take responsibility for their
> software.
>
> 	I wish the BSD license allowed you two options:
>
> 	1) You indemnify the author and make no representations about
> the original author, or

> 	2) You make your customers indemnify the author, and you
> accurately credit/blame the code on the original author.
>
> 	However, the BSD license only permits the second option.

You can copyright your modifications and take any blame for them.  It
is just the original, unmodified code that is disclaimed.  Dropping
the disclaimer do not seem like an option, due to US law even allowing
you to sue and recover damages from people that have released code in
the public domain (!).

Eivind.