Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 11:54:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP : laptop power-down change

Warner Losh writes:
> In message <199812110803.AAA00533@dingo.cdrom.com> Mike Smith writes:
> : > : Why the change?  The current behavior seems right to me.
> : Yes.  There is a perfectly good set of run-time options which allow you
> : to determine at any time whether you want to power-off or halt; having
> : a kernel option override this would be stupid.
>
> But the i386 code doesn't *HAVE* a rom monitor to drop back into...
> We just go into a loop that says press any key to reboot.  Not exactly
> useful.  The apm code is i386 specific, by definition.

<imho>

The theory is that halt != power down. Anyone can understand this
because there are real world examples of (non i386) computers that
drop into a monitor upon halt. No argument there.

FreeBSD is (ideally) independent of specific architectures/hardware.
Therefore, to be consistent and non-hardware-specific FreeBSD should
support both -h and -p.

Now in the subcase that you're running FreeBSD on i386 with no monitor
ROM, then I don't what's wrong with making '-h' and '-p' degenerate,
ie, they both do the same thing: halt the system and cause a power off.

</imho>

-Archie