Date:      Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:00:44 -0500
From:      Daniel Gonzalez <spammesilly@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to Safely unplug USB stick

>  I went a little bit through the source of an linux "eject" and the
> *BSD "eject". The Linux Verion is using "cdrom.h" and *BSD "cdio.h".
> I think that both "eject's" are actually doing the same (*BSD:
> ioctl(fd,CDIOEJECT); Linux ioctl (fd,CDROMEJECT)). I'm not a
> kernel/driver programmer, but I think the umass Driver or SCSI Driver
> (because "eject /dev/cd0" also doesn't work ) doesn't accept a
> CDIOEJECT.

Have you tried:

# /usr/local/sbin/eject  /dev/acd0

My cdrom drive is usually /dev/cd0 because it's a CD RW. Otherwise
non-writable drives
are /dev/acd0. My CDRW won't eject with /dev/cd0 but it works fine with
eject /dev/acd0.

As for the USB stick, I mount it using the following:

# mount_msdosfs -o longnames /dev/da0s1 /mnt/usbflash0

And umount with the following:
# umount /mnt/usbflash0

(I'm using PCBSD which is FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE, GENERIC kernel

Unmounting the drive causes the LED light to flicker, then extinguish.
Don't know if that helps you any, but that is what happens on my system

Hope that helps

--
Dan Gonzalez
spammesilly@gmail.com