Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 10:28:07 +0100
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        Milo Hyson <milo@cyberlifelabs.com>, Help Victims <fight_terrorism@yahoo.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

On Sep 13, Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com> wrote:

> This is not appropriate for -questions, so I've moved it to -chat

I'm not 100% if it's something -chat wants to get bogged down in...

> Basically, I'm confused as to what your point is?

His point is that there are lots of people trying to start a war with chants
along the lines of 'USA, Number One!', etc. when it's really not required.
His point also, is that whilst people may be disgusted at the actions
carried out (myself included), on the larger scale of things in World
history they are but a mere blip.

I know that sounds heartless to say, but his point is that the US have
killed millions just in the last 50 years (after WWII) without giving a
stuff, and not being concerned because it was 'them' and that was OK. I
think his point is that perhaps America should sit down and think about her
actions, and WHY this happened. These guys had a reason for doing what they
did, and I'm suprised nobody, anywhere, seems to want to discuss what that
might have been. It just seems easier to call them cowards and paste over
the issue.

> Are you pointing out that all people are imperfect? Are you reiterating
> the fact that racism is rampant across the world? Are you suggesting
> that the world is full of insane people?

That would explain the staff at CNN then. Imperfect, massively racist and
xenophobic and to be quite honest, judging from their reports, completely
and totally insane.

> Basically, I see it this way. Violence is a sign of immaturity. There are
> a LOT of immature people in this world. President Bush appears to be
> intent on proving to the world just how immature the United States is
> by rewarding violence with more violence. I hope the world grows up
> before it destroys itself. Read your history, WW I took far less violence
> than this to start. We're travelling down a familiar road right now, and the
> street signs say WW III.

Aginst whom? You see, that's the problem here. I understand Bush hasn't been
in office long and his IQ is pretty low, but somebody needs to point out
that although 'wars' can make you look popular, when you're declaring one,
you kind of need to define who you are fighting. You know, like a country or
a name or something. Rather than just 'people who don't like the USA'. And
before you say 'bin Laden', can I just point out that all evidence
suggesting it was him behind this is purely circumstantial and the CIA and
FBI would *really* like to get their hands on him so will say ANYTHING if it
means they get a chance to kick his butt. Perhaps even lie about their
intelligence.

> On a more FreeBSD related note, do you think this will provoke the US
> government to create restrictions hurtful to the free software community?
> Such as crypto restrictions, or new laws allowing the government to invade
> our privacy as we use the internet? All in the name of "protecting the country
> from possible terrorist threats?" Could pgp be outlawed?

I seriously doubt it. If the laws were drafted, the simple argument would be
'how did crypto prevent these men from being detected?' and at this stage I
think they would have a hard problem showing that a law against crypto would
have helped. Strangely enough, terrorists don't seem too concerned about
breaking the law, and I'm sure they wouldn't too bothered about using crypto
in their target country if it was illegal. Maybe the law will get drafted,
but it will a stupid one, and one that I think most people would just
ignore.

--
PR