Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:48:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      probsd org <probsdorg@yahoo.com>
To:        sam@errno.com, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wpa_password not included in 6.1

Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com> wrote:    probsd org wrote:

> Brooks Davis
wrote: On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 03:05:55PM -0800, probsd org wrote:
>> I'm using FBSD 6.1 and have ndis0 configured. The wireless router I need to connect to is doing WPA-PSK TKIP encryption. I have installed wpa_supplicant but when configuring /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf I have to define 32-bit
>> psk password from wpa_password. But, I see wpa_password isn't included in FBSD 6.1
>>
>> What are my options?
>
> wpa_supplicant was shipped with FreeBSD 6.0 and beyond.
>
> -- Brooks
>
> It is my understanding that wpa_password is apart of wpa_supplicant. One needs to run 'wpa_password ssid password' to generate the 32-bit password when configuring /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

[please don't cross-post to multiple groups]

If you put the ascii string in the wpa_supplicant.conf file then
wpa_supplicant will do the work of wpa_passphrase and you don't need it.
If you want wpa_passphrase for pre-caculating the PSK, then the code is
in contrib/wpa_supplicant and you can build it yourself. Another person
requested it be hooked to the build and it's on my TODO list but hasn't
happened yet.

Sam

PS. If you really meant wpa_psasword then I don't know what it is;
please provide a pointer.

  Sam,
       Sorry, I did mean wpa_passphrase. When I put the ascii password for PSK   and run wpa_supplicant -i ndis0 -c /ets/wpa_supplicant.conf I am getting a kernal trap error and a subsequent forced reboot.

Sponsored Link