Date:      Tue, 14 May 1996 17:58:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov, taob@io.org, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org, asami@cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: 3 terabytes on one server? (was Re: more than 32 scsi disks on a single machine ?)

> As Sean Kelly wrote:
>
> > Yep.  The sixth field is the fsck pass number.  fsck runs in order of
> > pass number, entries with the same number are run in parallel.
>
> Only two distinct pass numbers are supported, however.  The first is
> for the root f/s, the other one for the rest.

Really?!?!  That's a little alarming, for those of us who put multiple fs's
on the same disk...

The Sun implementation allows me to do

/dev/sd0a       /                               4.2     rw              1 1
/dev/sd0b       swap                            swap    rw              0 0
/dev/sd0g       /usr                            4.2     rw              1 2
/dev/sd2b       swap                            swap    rw              0 0
/dev/sd2g       /usr/local                      4.2     rw              1 2
/dev/sd4d       /var                            4.2     rw              1 5
/dev/sd3a       /var/spool                      4.2     quota,rw        1 3
/dev/sd4a       /tmp                            4.2     quota,rw        1 4
/dev/sd4b       swap                            swap    rw              0 0
/dev/sd4f       /usr/u1                         4.2     rw              1 3
/dev/sd4g       /nfs                            4.2     rw              1 2
/dev/sd6a       /usr/u0                         4.2     quota,rw        1 2

Notice all the partitions on sd4, a heavily beat upon 660MB disk...  I
set those up to fsck in order (note the pass #'s)...

Now admittedly FreeBSD's fsck is a lot faster :-), but if this really is a
limitation, it is too bad..  maybe I will go look at it :-)

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968