Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 11:44:12 -0400
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commercial vendors registry

At 11:17 AM 4/12/97 -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>On Sat, 12 Apr 1997, dennis wrote:
>
>> Then perhaps there is a different reason that commercial vendors stay away
>> from
>> FreeBSD?
>
>	Because its a free, non-commercially supported product with nobody
>to rant and rave at if there is a problem?

Nice excuse, but I doubt it. You get a lot more response ranting at the
hackers
than you do ranting at microsoft or SCO, unless you're a REALLY BIG
vendor.

I think it has more to do with:

1) Its a tiny market due to no promotional effort  (ala LINUX)
2) Lack of commitment to stability of key components, particularly networking
3) Most of the key people are running/using/developing under -current rather
than the releases. How can there be a perceived commitment to the releases
when so much development time is already focused on 3.x?
4) Lack of focus as to what FreeBSD is (jack of all trades, master of none)

no doubt a flame-bait opinion, but i can take it :-)

db