Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 2015 10:10:54 +0200
From:      Hans Ottevanger <hans@beastielabs.net>
To:        reg@dwf.com
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD install.

On 07/12/15 06:02, reg@dwf.com wrote:

> OK, Im confused, or not impressed, choose one.
>
> I have been trying for several months to put PCBSD 10.1 and FreeBSD 10.1
> on one disk. I finally gave up, and am installing FreeBSD over
> the top of my previous PCBSD. sigh.
>
> After several attempts to put FreeBSD in a partition on the disk
> I gave up, and let it have the full 500GB disk.  Mumph.
>
> The install seems to go well, I give it an IP address, hostname,
> etc, and get down to the point where you reboot.
>
> I say yes to the reboot, and instead of rebooting from disk, I
> get the bios messages (Im using a mbr) that say its trying to
> boot from the ethernet.
>
> I went back and did this a 2nd time, just to be sure, but got
> the same result.

It would be nice to know what happens if you disable booting from the
network in the BIOS.

Also, it might be helpful if you tell us a bit more about the hardware
you are using.

> What gives?
> I dont remember having this sort of problem when I ran FreeBSD
> 20 years ago?

I have seen this happening occasionally the past 20 years, often related
to specific hardware and not just with FreeBSD. In most cases it could
be fixed.

> And why isnt the installer smart enough to install to a partition,
> every other OS in existence can do that.

Though I have not attempted to multi-boot for ages, I hear about many
people still doing this successfully, even from a single disk. FWIW, the
issues I hear about when attempting multi-boot are mostly related to
boot managers. Could you be more specific about your issues with the
installer?

Kind regards,

Hans Ottevanger

Eindhoven, Netherlands