Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 23:48:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        dscheidt@enteract.com (David Scheidt)
Cc:        crh@outpost.co.nz, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Learning curves (was Re: Newbee)

David Scheidt wrote,
> On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Craig Harding wrote:
>
> > I can't prove it, but I suspect steep=hard has been in use in the
> > computer industry for far longer than in the CEF example you gave
> > (where the earliest paper that defined the terminology was published
> > in 1990).
>
> I suspect so, since you tend to think steep means hard.  A steep hill is
> hard to climb.  However, what little mathmatican is in me cringes at the
> normal usage, because it confounds domain and range.  I like to look at
> graphs and understand what they mean.  When you put time one th Y-axis, you
> make it harder for me, and I suspect many others, to do that.  It is only a
> convention, but it is pretty deep-seated.

Not really. In this particular case, the "time" on the ordinate is
typically being considered as a cost. Time translates in to hours of
training time or hours of less productive work from an employee. You
could equally well cast it as a cost in $$. The idea of having the
abscissa measure some level of productivity and the ordinate a cost
probably is less offensive to anyone who feels some moral outrage at
the idea of having "time" on the y-axis.

But just to stir the pot a bit, a graph should _generally_ be
constructed so that the independent or "free" variable is placed on
the x-axis, and the quantity associated with that number be the
y-value for tht point. Even if the ordinate is time, most users of
such a plot would pose the question, "Hmmm... How much time does it
take for my employee (or me) to gain X amount of competence at this
task?" They find X on the abscissa, follow it up to Y and find their
time. A graph should be made so it is most easy to use.