Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 22:27:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        John Richards <john@zyqad.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More questions following SUCCESSFUL Installation

I can answer some of these...

On Thu, 20 Jun 1996, John Richards wrote:

> 2.  My /etc/services file is very small having only 5 entries.  Is this correct?
> The machine I'm  writing this from - a DEC alpha 3000 has a much larger services
> file.  I assume that once I get my FreeBSD box connected to the net I'm going to
> have to add the services as needed - n'est pas?

The upgrade procedure is broke in this regard.  Just borrow the services
file off of your favorite computer or get it out of the distributions
(the 'etc' dist I think) or the CVS tree (from the web site).

> 3.  To get Sendmail, DNS, TCP/IP, PPP etc working do I just install the
> appropriate package?

Sendmail:  comes configured ready to go.
DNS:  Comes with the system, just needs to be configured and enabled in
/etc/sysconfig.  Check /etc/namedb/... and the named man page.

> 4.  How do I make use of the live filesystem disk?  Does this mean that I don't
> need to install all packages that I want if I only want some occasionally?

Mount and access like any other disk.  One of the uses I know is that the
full sources are expanded on it, so you can use the 'lndir' utility to
store the sources on the CD.  Saves disk space.

> 5.  Any hints about clearing up the flutter on X11 at high resolution
> appreciated.

You'll have to hack /etc/XF86Config and modify the modelines for your
monitor and display card.  It's not easy.  There is a doc in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/.