Date:      Sun, 7 May 2006 09:46:19 +0930
From:      Ian Moore <no-spam@swiftdsl.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Brian John <brianjohn@fusemail.com>
Subject:   Re: video players broken

--nextPart1658414.USL34YQjQc

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 07:50, Brian John wrote:
> Gerard Seibert wrote:
> > Kris Kennaway wrote:

> >> No idea, I don't use portmanager.
> >>
> >> Kris
> >
> > Assuming you have an updated ports collection, it should work fine It
> > does on my system.
> >
> > I would recommend that you update your ports again and then run
> > 'portmanager -u -f -y -l' and see if that fixes the problem. At the very
> > least, a log file will  be created '/var/log/portmanager.log' that might
> > help track down the problem.
> >
> > HTH
>
> Hi, thanks for the advice.  I tried that command and it's been updating
> for a couple of days (takes so long because of the prompts that come up
> that stop the installs).  Anyway, now portmanager always gets to a
> certain point and my computer reboots.  I looked in the logfile and
> there isn't much there, this is at the end of the file:
> Sun Apr 30 16:36:17 2006
>  kdelibs-3.4.2_1                     /x11/kdelibs3
>     OLD
> kdelibs-3.5.2_1                     /x11/kdelibs3
>
> Any idea what could be causing this?
>
> Thanks again for the help
>
> /Brian

I'm no expert, but I wonder if doing what it says in /usr/ports/UPDATING en=
try=20
20060108 might help:

  AFFECTS: users of x11/kdelibs3, x11/kdebase3, deskutils/superkaramba,
                    x11-themes/kde-windeco-smoothblend, irc/kvirc,
                    editors/vimpart
  AUTHOR: kde@FreeBSD.org

  A number of files have been moved from kdebase to kdelibs between
  KDE 3.4.3 and KDE 3.5.0 and some applications which used to be
  distributed separately from KDE have been included in the release.

  This means that you will have to take some precautions in order to
  update your KDE installation without interruptions.

  We recommend sticking to the following procedure. This procedure requires
   you to have sysutils/portupgrade installed and to be the superuser (or
   using sudo)
=2E

  1.) Delete installed packages which conflict with the updated KDE
      ports.

        pkg_deinstall -f kdebase-\[0-9\]\* superkaramba-\[0-9\]\* \
        kde-windeco-smoothblend-\[0-9]\* kvirc-\[0-9\]\* \
        kdeaddons-vimpart-\[0-9\]\*

  2.) Now update the remaining KDE ports.

        portupgrade -O arts\* kde\* \*kde-i18n\*

      or, if you want to update KDE along with other updated ports:

        portupgrade -a

  3.) Reinstall the KDE ports you deleted in step 1.

        portinstall -O kdebase

  Superkaramba is now included in misc/kdeutils3.

  The smoothblend window decoration is now included in x11-themes/kdeartwor=
k3.

  Vimpart is being discontinued and no longer part of KDE.
 =20
KNOWN ISSUES:
  =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

  Just like KDE 3.4, KDE 3.5 does not play nice with openssl-0.9.8. In
  particular it breaks kwallet, some of the SSL handling in konqueror and
  SSL/TLS support in kmail/kontact.

  If you're using the openssl ports rather than the base-system openssl,
  make sure to use security/openssl-stable.

  You can put WITH_OPENSSL_STABLE=3Dyes into /etc/make.conf to automatically
  make ports depend on that rather than on security/openssl.

  FreeBSD 4.x users MUST install openssl-stable even if the base openssl is
  present for SSL/TLS support in kmail/kontact to work. Unfortunately, the
  kdepim3 port cannot depend on it automatically due to shortcomings/bugs in
  ports-collection's openssl infrastructure.

Cheers,
=2D-=20
Ian
gpg key: http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~imoore/no-spam.asc