Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:08:37 +0000
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't load if_gif.ko

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 03:30:30PM -0300, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> It seems something has gone wrong on current wrt if_gif:
>
> [root@pajeus etc]# ifconfig gif0 create
> ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE: Invalid argument
> [root@pajeus etc]# kldload if_gif
> kldload: can't load if_gif: No such file or directory
>
> It works for vlan, so that's not a general module/ifmodule loading problem.
>
> Very recent current.

It doesn't work on 4.7 either if IPv6 isn't compiled into the kernel.
If you look at the kernel messages it might
give you more information.  It might be a different problem, but mine was
wanting IPv6, and refused to
load without it.   This type of error reminds me of trying to run FreeBSD
binaries on Linux - you run ./bsd_app and it says 'No such file or directory'
which is less than helpful, while I generally find FreeBSD error messages to be a lot
more informative.  Would it be possible for this message to be
reworded to be more helpful?  The file does indeed exist, it's just that
the system cannot load it.   Or, if a module fails to load, maybe prompt the
user to look at the kernel messages for any error messages?

Bruce Cran