Date:      Sat, 02 Jun 2001 01:43:21 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramidi@otenet.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why emacs not workee anymore?

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Roelof Osinga wrote:

> > nisser:/home/eboa/www/Slak/Flash/2001$ emacs -nw
> > /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libXaw.so.6" not found
>
> So if you rebuild Emacs with WITHOUT_X11=yes it will not use any X11 libraries
> and you will be able to run it in your telnet sessions with -nw option or not,
> without having ld-elf.so (the runtime linker) that it cannot find some of the
> libraries required by the binary (like it does now).

Which is the same advice Robert gave. I know I can build it without X11
support. But I never do <g>. Mostly because at times I use it in a X11
session.

Here is a snippet from the script log and a ls output:

  What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          LUCID
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                /usr/X11R6/include
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   /usr/X11R6/lib

creating ...
creating src/Makefile
===>  Building for emacs-20.7
/bin/rm -rf /usr/ports/editors/emacs20/work/emacs-20.7/info/*

[1]+  Stopped                 less /root/logs/ports/emacs20
nisser:/home/eboa/www/Slak/Flash/2001$ ls /usr/X11R6/lib/*Xaw*
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.a         /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so.6*
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so@

The libs are present when needed. This emacs has worked with a telnet
session as its sibling does right now through a ssh session.

Hey! In fact ...

nisser:/home/eboa/www/Slak$ ps ax|grep emacs
45446  p0  T      0:02.62 emacs -nw db.nisser
nisser:/home/eboa/www/Slak/Flash/2001$

And indeed, I found it! I still had, well... have, an emacs session
running in a telnet session (local box). Which changes the question to

  how does that session preclude others from running?

Bummer. I just closed all files and exited that job. Now I can no
longer get it to run.

Back to square one.

What causes this or how to find out? What info must I post? What not.
Wiped box, fresh install, still shining... though it looses some of its
sparkle <g>.

Roelof