Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:47:27 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "David Shanes" <dshanes@personalogic.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

At 10:17 AM 4/10/98 -0700, David Shanes wrote:

>        1. Brett - You seem to be the industry trend man. I have realized
>this ever since I have been reading your columns and, recently, your e-mail.
>Do you get advance notice of events like this, or is it all hind sight?

I'm not psychic.... I just subscribe to the right mailing lists and read
a lot. I found out about the Linux events via the "Appraising Microsoft"
list on Ralph Nader's essential.org site, for example.

One of the best ways to find out what's going on in the free software world
is to watch the major Linux sites on the Net, as well as the mailing lists
and newsgroups.

I like the idea of scattering FreeBSD CD-ROMs to libraries hither and yon --
and also of having a little guy in a daemon suit at industry events. I think
that regular press releases are essential -- as well as publicity on the
major Internet news sites. C|Net has a bunch of good reporters who will
recognize what's newsworthy; so do TechWeb, The Red Herring, and Wired.

I propose that FreeBSD develop a PR team -- perhaps a group of volunteers
coordinated by someone who's paid at least part-time. There should be a budget
for hiring writers, for mailing, for FAXing, and for a speaker bureau.

--Brett