Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2019 18:21:09 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        hw <hw@gc-24.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firefox or what?

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 17:37:54 +0200, hw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does any of the Firefox versions that can be installed with pkg
> actually work?  Firefix continues to freeze, crash, being unable to
> remember its settings, to not show up at all when starting it other
> than in the process list, and it usually can't be killed even with
> kill -9.

I have a FreeBSD 12.0-p7/i386 installation running Firefox 68.0,
and I don't have any problems. I even tried "modern" web pages,
and even though Firefox sometimes seems to run a bit too slow,
no crashes or freezes.

But what you're describing rings a bell.

Just to make sure you're not suffering from an inconsistent
file system, boot your system in single-user mode and perform
a forced full fsck on all filesystems, especially those carrying
/usr/local and /home. Make sure you have the following setting
in /etc/rc.conf:

	background_fsck="NO"

Inconsistent file system can definitely cause the kind of problem
you're seeing, so make sure it's not the case.

NB: Does only apply to UFS. ;-)

> If Firefox is incompatible with FreeBSD, what's the alternative?

It isn't. Things that do not build or run on FreeBSD are either
marked "BROKEN", or aren't part of the ports collection.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany