Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 1997 19:24:57 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Kyle Mestery <mestery@winternet.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: guspnp8 driver release

Kyle Mestery:
 |> appears to be working okay.  I have a SB32 (the non-AWE card), a Tyan

Amancio Hasty:
 |Have you try to play back mpeg sound streams with mpg123 or mpeg
 |movies with "mtv"?

Kyle Mestery:
 |Well, I just got mpg123 and I am happily playing mp3 files with no
 |problems! The only thing that happens is occasionally the mp123 program
 |will stop playing a file, and not exit but just sit there, but I suspect
 |this is a problem with mpg123.  I am using mpg123 v0.59f.  Thanks!

Hey Kyle, glad to hear you also have a SB32.  With two of us beating on it,
hopefully we can get it into shape for our cards.

FWIW after uncommenting the SB/SB16 support with guspnp7, I was having these
problems with the driver on the SB32:

    - system freezes when breaking out of a /dev/dsp play app,
    - not getting any sound with mtv,
    - occasionally seeing the close of the device hang for a few seconds
      after a play, which you mentioned, and
    - recording fails (interrupted system call on read() if I remember)

If you get a minute, could you pull mtv (www.mpegtv.com -- it's a Linux
MPEG player) and try it on an MPEG system (audio+video) stream.  There's a
ton at http://www.mpeg.org/MPEG/bitstreams.html under MPEG System Streams.

Also I (and Amancio too I'm sure) would be interested as to whether you can
lock up your system breaking out of play apps.  As I recall, I was using
mpg123 on an MPEG L2 or L3 audio file, let it play for a sec and then
Ctrl-C -- didn't take but a few to freeze my box.

I'll also pull guspnp8 soon and retest with it.

Randall